10 Amazing Geographical Facts about Africa
1. Africa is the world’s second largest continent covering about over 30 million square kilometers.
2. Africa has approximately 30% of the earth’s remaining mineral resources.
3. Lake Victoria, Tanzania, is the largest lake in Africa and the second-largest freshwater lake in the world.
4. The Nile River is the longest river in the world with a total length of 6 650 kilometres.
5. Africa is the world’s second driest continent (after Australia).
6. There are 54 countries and one “non-self governing territory”, the Western Sahara, in Africa.
7. The African continent is the world’s oldest populated area.
8. The continent has the largest reserves of precious metals with over 40% of the gold reserves, over 60% of the cobalt, and 90% of the platinum reserves.
9. The Sahara is the largest desert in the world and is bigger than the continental USA.
10. Africa has eight of the 11 major biomes and the largest-remaining populations of lion, elephant, rhinoceros, cheetah, hyena, leopard and hundreds of other species.